These may be very different from the real, because we are monitoring only those players who use our site.
A single-seat all-metal cantilever monoplane fighter. Continuing the line of the La-5/La-7 fighters, the designers of the Lavochkin Design Bureau wanted to remove all of the wood from the aircraft's construction and create an all-metal fighter. In early 1946, prototype fighter 130 was built, to be launched into full-scale production under the designation of La-9 (Product 48) after the tests had been passed. The La-9 was a new plane, not just an upgrade of the La-7 with metal parts instead of wooden ones. The La-9 had differently shaped monospar wings with laminar flow airfoils. This plane did not have leading edge slats. The weight savings gained by replacing wood with duralumin enabled the designers to mount five fuel tanks on the aircraft and increase the total fuel capacity. The La-9's cockpit was more spacious than the La-7's, and its canopy required less framing and provided better visibility. By pressurizing the cockpit and the power unit compartment, one of the main shortcomings of the Lavochkins - the high temperature in the pilot's cockpit during engine operation - was finally overcome. Also, the aircraft's instrumentation system was brought into line with worldwide standards. A radio compass, an attitude indicator, and an identification-friend-or-foe transponder enabled the aircraft to be piloted and engage in dogfights even in difficult weather conditions. The La-9 had a Shvetsov ASh-82FN fourteen-cylinder two-row radial air-cooled fuel-injected engine producing a maximum power of 1,850 hp. The plane's armament consisted of four synchronous 23mm Nudelman-Suranov NS-23S cannons with 300 rounds each. A Fairchild gun camera mounted on the right wing panel was used to direct shooting and for training purposes. Later it was replaced with an S-13, its Soviet counterpart, which was placed in the fairing over the cockpit windshield. Production of the La-9 continued until 1949. A total of 1,882 planes were manufactured. Troops in the Soviet Air Force began to receive the new fighters in 1947. The La-9 did not remain in service for long, since the Air Force quickly switched to jet technology. The early 1950s saw the beginning of the mass handover of piston fighters for warehousing and conservation, as well as the re-equipping of fighting troops with MiG-15 jet aircraft. In addition to flying with the Soviet Air Force, La-9 fighters remained in service with the People's Liberation Army Air Force of China until 1959, laying the foundation for the new Chinese Air Force. When the Korean War began, the La-9 was being supplied to the North Korean Air Force. The first planes were received in September and October 1950. During the final stage of the war, the Koreans used the La-9s as light night bombers. When bomb racks were mounted, the fighter could carry two 50-kg bombs. After the war, La-9s were in service with the Korean People's Army Air Force until the end of the 50s.